- TEDx Talk: “Math Class Needs a Makeover.”
- Blog. A must-read for every math teacher everywhere ever.
Database of 3-Act Math tasks.
- 101 Questions: A user-generated database of quick, language-free math prompts.
- Graphing Stories: Short videos and graphing tasks.
- Desmos: Online graphing calculator.
- Function Carnival: A prototype of an intuitive online mathematics education environment.
- TEDx Talk: The Future of Education Without Coercion.”
- Calculus: A Comedy: A series of lesson ideas and reflections aimed at improving students’ understanding of why we do calculus.
- Lancaster was my math instructor at teacher’s college, and helped me learn a slower, deeper approach to teaching mathematics. He also introduced me to the concept of a math trail – essentially, a mathematical treasure hunt.
- TED Talk: Encouraging curiosity in chemistry class.
- YouTube Channel: Mathematical Art.
- TEDx Talk: “Learning Science by Doing Science.”
Kate Nowak and Karim Ani
- Nowak’s Blog: Great teaching ideas with an emphasis on geometry.
- Mathalicious: Real-world math problems done right.
- g=4, and other lies the test told me: Honner critiques math textbooks and tests for forcing students to make inaccurate assumptions in their mathematical modelling, thereby penalizing creative mathematical thinking.
- Blog: Math teaching and inquiry with a focus on mathematical art, modelling, and problem-solving.
- Blog: A constructivist approach to teaching high-school math, with an emphasis on pure mathematics.
- Thinking Mathematics! Video lectures featuring a clear, concise, and mathematically insightful approach to the high-school curriculum.
- A Mathematician’s Lament: A passionate call for a radical transformation in math curricula. For Lockhart, mathematics is the art of logical reasoning, and math classes should look and feel more like art classes.
Historical Thinking Project
- Website: Encourages teachers to focus on historical thinking skills, as opposed to merely facts, in their history curriculum. Includes lessons.
- The Big Six Historical Thinking Concepts: book by Peter Seixas.
Critical Thinking Consortium
- Website: Lesson plans for teaching discrete research, analytical, and argumentative skills across the curriculum. Collections of primary documents for teaching Canadian history.
Problem-Based Math Curricula